So, you just moved to Tampa just a couple years back, bought a house and have been living there happily with your family. Suddenly, you realize that your beautiful house has some fixing-up to be done. It can be that whenever you shower, water collates until your ankles and takes time to drain indicating a blockage or that your heating system isn’t working as efficiently as it was or that you have noticed a stain on the slabs indicating a pipe leak.
What do you do?
Well, the first thing you should definitely do is look to hire a licensed plumber to fix any issues your house may have. Lucky for you, Matt’s Plumbing Services is just the right company for the job! Whether you think that the plumbing work you need is minimal or not, you should always make sure that you hire a licensed plumber.
Plumbing is a skill that is needed by every building that has a water system in it. In order to work as a plumber, one is required to meet certain criteria and apply for a license. In Florida, a plumber may be allowed to be locally registered or licensed by the state.
Some of the requirements for applying for a plumbing license include:
- One is aged 18 or older
- One should have up to 3 years of proven experience as a plumber and at least 1 year as a foreman
- One must pass a criminal background check
- One will be able to prove that they are financially stable using bank statements and, in some cases, a proof of bond may be required
- One must possess both public liability insurance and property damage insurance and provide workers ‘compensation insurance for every single one of your employees
What are the benefits of hiring a licensed plumber?
As tempting as it can be to hire the local handyman to fix your plumbing issues for you at half the cost everyone else has quoted, and as much as he reassures you of his skill in plumbing, you should always work with a licensed plumber. As much as his offer may be enticing, an unlicensed plumber would cost you much more in the long term than a licensed plumber would.
Having a license shows that the said plumber is willing to comply with all the current laws, regulations and recommended safety measures even when traditional or potentially harmful methods may be easier to use. It also shows a level of professionalism of the plumber who is dedicated to his field and not just trying to earn a few extra dollars on the side.
Here is an outline of the benefits of hiring a licensed plumber:
- A licensed plumber has the experience to repair, install, upgrade and detect any issues in your plumbing – Plumbers go through hours of training and before they are licensed, they are required to have experience. An experienced plumber will know how to fix even the most persistent of plumbing issues because chances are, he has handled something similar before. Sometimes, you may find an unlicensed plumber who is skilled at one thing but not the other. For example, it may be rather easy for him to unclog a drain but if you were to ask his advice on the best water heater to purchase, he may not know. Hiring a licensed plumber ensures that you are getting all the skill under one roof.
- Save your warranty – When you buy some plumbing equipment to install in your home, the warranty on that equipment may stipulate that it only be installed by a licensed technician otherwise it is null and void. This may or may not be posted in the appliance literature. If something goes wrong with the appliance, the manufacturer may have refused to honor the warranty on the premise that it was not professionally installed and therefore the fault lies squarely on you. This may actually cost you a lot of money in replacing the appliance by basically buying it at full price again.
- Compliance to building code – When a licensed plumber starts working on plumbing installations in your home, one of the first things he will do is go through the building codes to ensure that his work complies with them. An unlicensed plumber may be unfamiliar with the building codes which may make you risk not having your plumbing up to code, possibly resulting in fines and penalties should something go wrong. Even worse, your insurance may deny your claim after a flood because your plumbing system was improperly installed.
- Safety – A licensed plumber ensures that your appliances and plumbing are safe. Your property can be damaged, or even worse, your family harmed by an incorrectly installed water heater system.
- Peace of mind – There is something about having professionals taking care of your work that gives you peace of mind. You don’t have to constantly micro-manage or get stressed because frankly, they know what they are doing and have the skills and expertise required for the job.
By hiring a licensed plumber like Matt’s Plumbing services, you are ensured that your property is in good hands and that whatever problem your plumbing is facing will be fixed by certified professionals who have the required skills and experience. Also, Matt’s Plumbing systems have the latest and best technology used for plumbing purposes because we want our clients to be satisfied with our work. It is our wish to surpass any expectations you may have on a job well done and have you comfortably back in your routine as quickly as possible.
Our biggest regret is seeing homeowners who have suffered in the hands of unlicensed plumbers who did not even solve the issue at hand but instead made it even worse. The homeowner ends up paying double for what could easily be resolved with a simple phone call.